Solar thermal heating installations are making a comeback. First used over fourty years ago, this proven technology is coming ‘back to the future’ with new new roof panel designs and control systems. You can now fit panels on a wider range of roof layouts, including ones which do not face directly south.
Sophisticated modern control systems also mean that solar thermal works really well with latest generation technology such as high efficiency gas boilers and air source heat pumps. Make use of free heat from the sun when it is shining, or use low cost energy from boiler or heat pump when there is no sun.
Some of the key benefits of solar thermal installations include:
- Helps to reduce your carbon footprint
- A new installation could be eligible for RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive) which means the government gives you money for 7 years for having the system. This could equate to a big chunk of the installation price coming back to you. Find out more in our previous blog post: Renewable Heat Incentive
- Solar thermal can generate between 35-55% of your hot water on average throughout the year, it will be significantly more in the summer and less in the winter.
- Doesn’t have to be on a south facing roof – due to improvements in technology we can now offer an east/west array, which splits the panels across 2 roof surfaces.
- The installation incorporates a new efficient mains pressured cylinder, giving you much better heat recovery and water pressure from taps.
- It has very low running low costs.
- Depending on existing type of water system, it could be significantly cheaper to run, especially if you are heating your hot water with an immersion heater. That is a very expensive way of heating the water, there is likely to be a saving of 35-55% of that cost if you add solar thermal panels into the system.
- Solar thermal works well in conjunction with an air or ground source heat pump. The combined system would make your heating system fully renewable energy driven, not using any fossil fuels for heating
There are plenty of reasons to look at the new generation of solar themal heating systems. Call us on 03330 436670 for a no obligation discussion with our technical surveyor who can take a look at your premises and advise on the best format and likely costs.